Frequently Asked Questions

Ukiah Waste Solutions FAQ

Our customer service office is open from 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at 3515 Taylor Drive, Ukiah, CA, 95482. Please call us at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 during normal business hours.

In the city of Ukiah, no collections are made on Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day or New Year’s Day.

During those weeks, if your regular collection day falls on a holiday, collection is delayed by one day. For example, Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday. That week, Thursday customers will be collected on Friday, and Friday customers will be collected on Saturday. Normal collection resumes the following week.

Residential customers are billed monthly by the City of Ukiah.

Commercial and multifamily customers are billed directly by Ukiah Waste Solutions each month. Bills are due and payable within 30 days from date of invoice. Commercial customers may pay by check, cash or credit card. Online payment is now available here.

We accept cash, check or money order via mail or in person. Credit card payments are accepted over the phone or customers may pay online.

  • Checks or money orders can be mailed to P.O. Box 7428, Pasadena, CA 91109-7428. Please indicate your account number on your check or money order.
  • Payments may be made using a credit card by calling our office at 707-234-6400 or by calling our automated phone line at 855-569-2719.
  • Payments by check, cash or money order may be delivered in person to our offices located at 3515 Taylor Drive, Ukiah, CA, 95482 (Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.).
  • Payments may be made online.

Yes! Ukiah Waste Solutions’ customers may pay their bill online here.

Residential customers may suspend service for four weeks or more. They will be billed pro-rata for actual services received. To suspend service during a vacation, please contact our customer service office at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400.

Not at the present time.

Please call customer service at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 to request a different size cart. Our customer service representatives will advise you of the different sizes and rates. You will be asked to leave your cart out after your collection day for an exchange. Carts must be empty in order to be exchanged.

Carts must not exceed 75 lbs. Carts exceeding this weight limit will damage the automated “arm” on the collection truck.

Collection starts very early, so customers are encouraged to place carts out for collection the night before scheduled service.

Carts should be placed at the curb or roadway edge by 4:00 a.m. on collection day. Please keep carts away from mailboxes and cars and allow a clearance of at least 15 feet above the carts

Please allow 3 feet of space between carts and make sure the arrows on the carts face the street or road.

Times vary by location. As a general rule, collection starts very early. Carts need to be out for collection by 4:00 a.m. Customers are encouraged to place carts out for collection the night before scheduled service.

Call us immediately at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 if your garbage is not picked up by the end of your regularly scheduled day. Please remember that collection times can vary from week to week due to such things as equipment issues, traffic or new routing. Also, an additional trip charge may apply if your carts were not set out in the appropriate place at the appropriate time.

In many locations, we use a split-body truck that allows us to pick up two materials at one stop. A toggle switch in the cab of the truck activates a flap that directs materials to a certain compartment, which keeps material separate and free of contamination.

This split-body collection system is an innovative approach to material collection that reduces truck traffic and noise in neighborhoods. Also, by eliminating one collection pass, there is less wear-and-tear on roads and less emissions.

Please put the following empty, clean and dry materials in your blue lid cart:

  • Newspaper
  • Household paper
  • Magazines
  • Cardboard
  • Food and beverage glass
  • Metal cans
  • Plastic food and beverage containers

Please do not bag your recyclables.

NEW!! Check out our new mobile online tool to help you stay cart smart!

Please put the following materials in your green lid cart:

  • Lawn clippings
  • Leaves
  • Plant material
  • Branches under 4″ in diameter
  • Small unpainted wood pieces
  • Food scraps
  • Soiled paper
  • Pizza boxes

Please do not bag organic waste.

NEW!! Check out our new mobile online tool to help you stay cart smart!

There is no additional charge for standard recycling and green waste collection. All service fees are included in the garbage service fee. There is a fee charged if customers want additional recycling and/or green waste carts beyond the standard service.

Yes! “Single-Stream” recycling means that residential and commercial customers can place all recyclables together in one cart or bin. Customers do not need to separate materials, which is an added convenience. Single-Stream recycling has been proven to increase recycling volumes and help communities divert materials from a landfill.

When recyclables are processed at the Material Recovery Facility, they pass over screens and conveyors that are designed to sort materials. Contaminants such as food waste and garbage plug screens and rollers. Other contaminants can cause physical damage to hoses and belts. In both cases, contaminants cause the sorting system to shut down.

Yes! Recyclables are sorted, baled and sold to processors who make new consumer products from them. The sale of recyclables results in revenues for the company that collects them. These revenues help offset some of the costs of collecting all of the carts and bins. Contaminated recyclables cannot be sold, so any loss of revenue to the collection companies ultimately results in higher garbage fees.

Tags are placed on carts in response to levels of contamination. If you received an “Oops!” contamination card, it indicates that there is material in the cart that doesn’t belong there. Tagging can be avoided by putting the right stuff in the right cart. Accounts that are tagged multiple times are subject to fines and service disruption.

If you have any questions about what goes in each cart, please see the  UWS Recycling Guide and UWS Mixed Organic Waste Guide, or give us a call at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400.

No. Material must be placed in your recycling cart loose, not bagged, with the exception of shredded paper which must be in a clear plastic bag only. Plastic bags end up being shredded and contaminating the load.

No. Green waste goes directly to a shredder for making compost. Plastic bags would end up being shredded and contaminate the compost.

Not in the recycling cart. However, many thrift stores and charitable organizations such as Goodwill, The Salvation Army and local Hospice facilities accept these items. Customers are encouraged to contact these organizations. Reusing these materials is superior to throwing them away.

Hazardous Waste and Universal Waste is strictly prohibited in all garbage carts, recycle carts, organic waste carts or debris boxes. This includes all paints, thinners, batteries, pesticides, motor oil, fluorescent tubes and electronics such as televisions, monitors, and VCRs.

For information on locations and schedules for Hazardous Waste disposal, contact the Mendocino Solid Waste Management Authority at (707) 468-9704 or visit them at

Most e-Waste is accepted at the Ukiah Transfer Station & Recycling Center, located at 3151 Taylor Drive, Ukiah, CA 95482.  The transfer station accepts TVs, computers, stereo equipment and cell phones and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Alternatively, many thrift stores and charitable organizations such as Goodwill and The Salvation Army accept these items. Customers are encouraged to contact these organizations. Reusing these materials is superior to throwing them away.

Please contact Mendo Recycle at 707-468-9704 or visit them at for more e-Waste recycling information and locations.

Materials are delivered to a certified processor where units are disassembled into different components (metal, glass, plastic, etc.). These materials then go to manufacturing facilities to be made into new products. We use an electronics recycler that does not export any materials overseas. It is all recycled domestically.

Please call us at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 to arrange for delivery of clean-up bin to your home. Small bins (3 cubic yards) are available for “light” projects and larger debris boxes (15-20-30 cubic yards) are available for extensive projects such as remodels, construction or landscape tear-outs.

Discounts are given if clean recyclables such as green waste, wood waste, cardboard, glass or concrete are placed in the bin or box.

View Bin Agreement

Yes! Contact us at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 at least 30 days in advance of the event. Each situation is unique and we will help assess how recycling can be handled at your event.

Yes! Just call customer service at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400. There is no charge for replacing a cart with a malfunctioning lid or wheel that was damaged during the collection process.

However, there is a charge for replacing carts that were damaged by a customer’s misuse, such as placing hot ashes in them, placing sharp metal objects in them, driving into them, or standing on top of them.

Yes! When service is stopped for nonpayment, the total outstanding bill plus late fees must be paid in full. A reinstatement fee may also apply.

Yes! A fee will be applied to your last bill if a cart is not returned.

If you have already established service with us, we require a 24-hour notice to put the request in for the following day. If you have not had service with us prior, you will need to visit our office or call 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 to establish an account before we can deliver a container.

Yes! Commercial locking bins are available for a minimal fee. Please allow up to 2 weeks for the bin to be ready since they are made to order.

Please place your cart out in front of your own property by the edge of the driveway or curb unless you are notified to do otherwise.

Yes.  California Senate Bill (SB) 1383 requires all restaurants and businesses to separate organic waste, including food waste and food-soiled paper, from garbage and to subscribe to organic waste collection service.

Additionally, restaurants with 250 or more seats or a total facility size equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet will be required to donate the maximum amount of excess edible food to food recovery organizations by 2024.

At Ukiah Waste Solutions, we are committed to ensuring your compliance with SB 1383. Please contact us at 888-718-4888 or 707-234-6400 for a free onsite waste assessment or to schedule service.