Position: Refuse Collector/Driver
Company: C&S Waste Solutions of Lassen County
Location: Susanville, CA
Status: Full-time, weekdays (some Saturdays if week includes major holiday)
Drives a solid waste disposal packer truck, picks up refuse at homes and businesses and places in proper compartment for recycling or special material pickups. Takes waste to landfill, compacting area, or recycling center and deposits materials as directed.
- Inspects trucks prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operating conditions.
- Refuels trucks and adds other necessary fluids, such as oil.
- Fills out any needed reports for defective equipment.
- Drives trucks along established routes through residential streets and alleys, or through business and industrial areas.
- Drives to disposal sites to empty trucks that have been filled.
- Operates equipment that compresses the collected refuse.
- Operates automated or semi-automated hoisting devices that raise refuse bins and dump contents into openings in truck bodies.
- Dismounts refuse trucks to collect garbage and remounts trucks to ride to the next collection point.
- Communicates with dispatchers concerning delays, unsafe sites, accidents, equipment breakdowns, and other maintenance problems.
- Keeps informed of road and weather conditions to determine how routes will be affected.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs, assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods by road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- The Refuse Collector must give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Knowledge or performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Knowledge using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Proficient in selecting and using training instruction methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Knowledge in operations of equipment or systems used to perform their job functions.
- Must understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Must be aware of others’ reactions’ and understand why they react as they do in order to keep the operation fully functional.
- The Refuse Collector placed in charge of their crew must have the skill to monitor and assess performance of each crew member in order to make improvements or take corrective actions when necessary.
- Ability to coordinate two or more limbs while sitting, standing, or lying down
- Ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Ability to see details at close range within a few feet of the observer.
- Ability to judge the distance between you and an object.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to withstand all types of adverse weather conditions.
Licenses- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment. Appointees may be required to obtain special licenses (i.e. smog, Class B Driver’s License) as necessary.
Incumbents in this classification may be exposed to adverse conditions such as inclement weather, dust, loud noise, heat, and wind. Work in this classification may involve exposure to: chemicals; moving machinery, vehicles, and equipment; fumes; gases; petroleum products; fire and electrical hazards; and confined spaces. The use of appropriate safety clothing and equipment is required. Some positions in this class series may require possession of a valid California Class B Driver’s License. Some positions in this class series may require possession of hazardous materials and tank vehicle endorsements in addition to a valid California Class B Driver’s License. Appointees to those positions requiring a Class B license will be subject to mandatory testing for drugs prior to beginning work; once on the job, incumbents will be subject to mandatory testing for drugs and/or alcohol on a random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return- to-duty, and follow-up basis.
Compensation is based on experience.
This position is full time five days per week and includes vacation/sick time, 401k plan, Health, Dental, and Vision plans. C&S Waste Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.